Hi fam fam! 🙂
Hope your week is going on well.This is a topic we don’t really talk about and yet there are so many people who go through this. I know I have been through this a couple of times. . . we may not have anyone to walk us through it all but we have a living God that is interested in giving us perfect healing and setting us free from the grip of depression.
A reader sent this in and I hope it blesses you as it has me.
According to Wikipedia, depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person’s thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well being.
Depressed people can feel anxious, empty, helpless, hopeless, guilty, irritable and angry. Depression is the emotional epidemic of our times, it is a sickness of the spirit but the good news is the unending ability of the balm in gilead to not only heal a sickness of the body but also of the spirit. (Jer 8:21-22)
Jeremiah 8:21 KJV, For the hurt of the daughter of my people am I hurt; I am black; astonishment hath taken hold on me. 8:22 Is there no balm in Gilead; is there no physician there? why then is not the health of the daughter of my people recovered?
Causes of depression
• Hopelessness & helplessness is a major cause of depression. Hopelessness stems from an ignorance of the person of God and His promises as it pertains to you fully detailed in His word (the bible) Hosea4:6A & Isaiah 5:13A.
• Substance Induced: Drug abuse and alcohol abuse can cause depressive feelings. It could be from intoxication, withdrawal or chronic use.
• Life Events:Bereavement, mental abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse can contribute to depressive feelings. Other life events such as job loss, childbirth, financial difficulties, medical diagnosis(HIV,cancer), social isolation, relationship troubles are also causes of depression.
• Living in Condemnation & distance from God: We often makes mistakes in life, which the devil gleefully reminds us makes us unworthy of the love of Christ but the good news is, the love of God isn’t earned but freely given for He loved us even while we were yet sinners. John3:16.
God does not really care how colorful your past has been, your decision to live for Him, taking firm hold of His help in living above sin, obedience to Him in the present and the future, that is what God is about. So I implore you to shake off the shackles of depression brought on by self-condemnation. Romans 8:1-14
• Temperamental Reactions: There are certain temperaments prone to been glum and by extension depression. Chief among this is the melancholy temperament. Melancholies by nature always perceive realities as more dire than they actually are. With the help of the Holy spirit, you can actually have a spirit controlled temperament where your temperamental weaknesses are stifled and the spirit of God takes over 2Cor.10:5. This is achieved by submitting to the Holy spirit and letting His word abound in your hearts.
2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV, Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
Symptoms of Depression
Some of the symptoms of depression include:
• Feelings of hopelessness and/or helplessness and pessimism
• Insomnia; early morning wakefulness or excessive sleeping
• Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable
• Irritability or restlessness
• Over eating or appetite loss
• Persistent sad, anxious or empty feelings
• Suicidal thoughts or suicide attempts
• Fatigue and/or decreased energy
• Feelings of guilt and worthlessness
A. Be born again: You need to give your life to Christ, this is the only way to stay depression-free.2cor.5:17. When Jesus comes into your life& heart, there is a joy& peace that springs forth from within.1 John 1 :9
1 John 1:9 KJV, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
B. Acknowledge that there’s a balm in gilead and ask for His help.
Luke11:13. Ask Him to heal your spirit of depression and thirst for a fresh endowment of the multi-faceted Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit manifests as the Spirit of joy. The Holy Spirit is the balm in Gilead and one of His fruits is joy. Also the Holy Spirit comforts, no matter how despondent you feel, yield to the Holy Spirit and I can assure you that He will pull you out of the dark abyss of depression and cause His joy to shine in your life and heart. Trust me, I speak from personal experience. Lay all your pains, frustrations, fears, doubts at His feet and you will perceive Him taking them all and flooding your spirit with the joy of the Holy Spirit. The truth is you cannot be joyful in spite circumstances without the help of the Holy Spirit. Gal.5:22-23. John16:7
C. Have a Prayer& Word Schedule: This has to be painstakingly scheduled as you cannot leave it to chance. You need to have specific periods during each day when you read, study theWord of God & commune with the throne room of heaven. Phil.4:6-7. Col.3:16-17
Philippians 4:6 KJV, Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
D. Stay away from Sin: Of a truth, joy comes from within.it is not gotten from material things or any human being. Situations will arise that would threaten and question your joy but it’s easier to stay joyful when your joy is deep-seated. To sustain your joy, you need to avail yourself of the help of God in living above sin. Romans 6:11-13
Romans 6:11 KJV, Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
E. Intentionally create and sustain an atmosphere of praise, worship& thanksgiving: this includes your thoughts,words,deeds and relationships.Determine that no matter the situation,there is always reason to thank God.Deliberately cut off from people who are perpetually complaining.1Thes.5:18. Psalm118:24,28-29. Psalm92:1-5
F. Do not stay Isolated: As much as possible spend as much time with friends, family and in the worship filled presence of God(Provs.11:14 &17:17,Job2:11). Pursue your interests passionately, learn a new skill, make new friends(Provs.13:20). Live, live joyfully, God commands it. You need joy to receive from God.
Beyond every challenge is your response and attitude to it(James1:2-4). You cannot have joy if you focus on the circumstances of life, your joy has to come from God and the all encompassing knowledge that God’s got you. Romans 8:28, Phil4:4. The knowledge that God has got you can only be gleaned and renewed when you hide the word of God in your heart(Psalm119:11A). As you begin to respond positively to every challenge, I see you winning the battle against depression.
God is irrevocably in love with you ,never you forget that.
Bible quote for the Day:
Romans 8 vs 28 AMP, And we know [with great confidence] that God [who is deeply concerned about us] causes all things to work together [as a plan] for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to His plan and purpose.
I am an unrepentant reader especially Christian literature. Once upon a time, I wrote articles, I haven’t written in years though. With the help of the Holy spirit I dedicate my life to honoring God, one day at a time.