Focus on fulfilling God’s will for our lives, growth in spiritual maturity, discovering more about ourselves, building up our character etc. We have heard, countless times, of how we should enjoy our single-hood and stop being very concerned about being in a relationship. How we should instead, focus on building our relationship with God and building our character and other things.
So what happens when, eventually, we enter into a relationship with a guy or girl who we love? What happens with our relationship with God and the intimate moments we have been brewing with Him? Would all we have been building up suddenly crumble? No. Well, I hope not!
It’s beautiful to be in a relationship with someone who loves you and you love back. But even more beautiful when you maintain your relationship with God.
You find yourself having to share your heart with God and with your new found love. It’s not God all the time any-more and you probably feel you’re giving more time to your relationship and literally shutting God out.
So how do we keep on flowing with God despite being in a relationship? Here are a few things I put together:
– Let God be the centre of your relationship; making the decision to put God first in your relationship and letting Him take control of it. When God is in agreement with your relationship with your partner, He helps out with whatever struggles you’re going through and can give you relationship advice. It makes it all the better! Taking God out of the equation can lead to numerous things and possibly committing sin.
– Keep drawing closer to God and loving Him even in your relationship. No matter who you’re with (if he or she is so good, handsome, loving and caring) God loves you more than anyone else can or ever would. Don’t forget He’s your source. Keep your personal relationship with God intact.
– Trusting in God more than in your partner. Don’t place all your expectations in your partner. It’s best we learn this now before marriage. We are all humans and disappointments occur once in a while. Man can’t fulfil all our needs, only God can.
– Pray for each other. Once you guys start opening up to one another and being free enough to share each other’s weaknesses and strengths, you can pray for one another. And there’s nothing bad in discussing spiritual matters once every while.
– Don’t forget your ministry. You are here for a purpose and God has great plans for you, regardless of your being married or single. Keep building up your ministry and trusting God in fulfilling purpose and being all that He wants you to be.
– You aren’t married yet and your body still belongs to God . . . Not your boyfriend or girlfriend or whoever you are courting. It’s difficult, (really it is), not to want to ‘love up’, especially if you or the other person’s love language is physical touch. Don’t start what you can’t finish. You can do all things through Christ that strengthens you.
In closing, you need God in your relationship. Don’t think of abandoning Him now that someone else has come into the picture and is ‘competing’ for your heart and attention. Being in a relationship with a fellow believer makes the above tips easier, since you would both be on the same page. Stay true to God. God is still all you need above all else.
Have a great weekend guys!
P.s To get notifications of more exciting articles please subscribe to the website. Just follow these few steps:
1) Go to www.lifegodandlove.com (well you’re here already)
2) Enter your email address in the subscription box and click on sign up now
3) You would receive an email from Life, God and Love.
4) Open the email and confirm your subscription by clicking on ‘Yes, subscribe me to the list’ .
You won’t be subscribed if you don’t click the confirmation link.
You would receive an email that your subscription on Life, God and Love has been confirmed.
That’s all! You start receiving updates from the website.
If you have followed the steps up till number three, but you didn’t check your email to confirm subscription… Please do so.